Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Walking the Neighborhoods and Cell Towers.

I have been walking the neighborhoods this past weekend to meet the people of Forks Township. I had the chance to discuss the future of our township and how to solve the critical issues facing our community. I heard a very strong message during my travels. We can do better!

Many people have expressed a concern about our rapid township growth, the Kings Mill development, cell towers in the park, and high property taxes. The issue I would like to address in my latest blog post is the proposed cell tower that would be located in the community park. During the last (September 6, 2007) Board of Supervisors meeting, the board was debating a proposal to start negotiations with T-Mobile in 2007. The proposal stipulated the cell tower must be located in the Forks Township Community Park. Ugh!

At the BoS meeting, I recommended to the board the cell tower be moved to another location within Forks Township. I recognize the need for efficient cell phone coverage and understand the important role cell phones play in our lives. I just feel our community park is not the best location for the cell tower. Additionally, the cell phone provider did not produce a sufficient explanation for the need for an additional cell phone tower in our township. As stated at the BoS meeting during public comment, the community park is our “crown jewel”. I cannot agree more!

I am supportive of the BoS decision to reject the cell tower proposal and hope we can continue to improve cell phone coverage in our township. Hopefully, a new cell tower will be co-located with the existing cell towers.


If you have any ideas or comments about critical issues facing Forks Township, please share your ideas on our blog or via email at billings2007@att.net.

Get Involved – Every Vote Counts!

Regards,

David Billings

No comments: