Saturday, January 30, 2010

EASD Budget - A Common Sense Approach Required

For the past few weeks, I have been fascinated by the conversion around the EASD budget. As an active member of the EASD ad hoc budget committee, I am concerned about the proposed 11.85% tax increase -- a move the district is trying to get a waiver to have unilaterally approved!. This is grossly above the state tax increase cap of 3.6%. This approach is bad form, bad politics, and very, very bad public policy.

In my many years of meeting budget cost goals both at my job and at home, I have always advocated shared risk. The shared risk concept is so that the various parties involved share the pain of budget reductions. In this case, the greater good is to limit tax increases through reducing school district costs, while at the same time improving the quality of all of our children’s education. I know this is tough, but we live in troubled economic times where tough decisions are required.

I will continue to advocate a balanced approach to cut costs. If the school district still wants to raise taxes by more than 11%, then for sure the taxpayer should get to make that final decision!

Get Involved! Every Voice Counts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.