Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My First Meeting BoS Meeting

It was a very interesting and fun night. One of the items discussed was the Army Reserve Center. The Forks BoS approved the Army Reserve Center by a 3 to 2 vote. Why did I vote no?!!

As a 10 year Navy veteran, I am very familiar with the sacrifices of the men and woman of our armed forces. I have lived in five different communities in four different states while serving in the US Submarine Force. I spend many, many months away from my family carrying out my military duties. I gain my sense of duty and ethics from my military service. These are the same attributes I bring to my role as a Forks Township Supervisor.  I proudly served my country with distinction and honor.

I also understand the impact of the military on our local communities. In my experience the military and local communities have always worked together to solve mutual concerns - in particular by addressing residents concerns about the impact of military installations on our communities.

Some Forks residents have expressed concerns about the impact of the new center on our township infrastructure and traffic. In response to these concerns, I asked questions about the safe storage of ammunition, military traffic flow within our township, traffic counts along Uhler Road (Uhler Road is still a two lane country road east to Martins Creek and RT 611 and west to Tatamy and Stockertown and RT 33.), and public safety procedures (between the Army our police department), LEEDS Silver Certification (for the use of solar panels), and the purpose of the locked vault. Yes, I even asked about the economic impact to our community. This new Army Reserve Center is being built in Forks to consolidate the Bethlehem Reserve center.

I felt many of my concerns were not adequately addressed by the project’s engineering firm, and that is why I decided to vote no. I am pleased the Army Reserve Center will be located in Forks Township. This community has a great tradition of supporting our military and as a Navy veteran, I will continue to participate in this tradition.

As a Forks Supervisor I feel it is very important we ask the tough questions to ensure the concerns of our citizens are being addressed and to view development projects in economic terms.

As your supervisor, I will continue to work hard to bring rational commercial development to our industrial parks.

Get Involved! Every Voice Counts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well done!! As a Military Police Officer in the Army for 5 years I compleatly agree with the vote you gave. They will have an impact on our town and will cost the township money. There will be ammo and chemicals stored there even as a temp storage so they can have there yearly qualifcations. The Fire department and police need to have the extra recources ready incase of an accident. The roads will need to be ready for there movements as well. These funds wll be on the town. from the sounds of it we will get nothing from them but some one buying pizza.